After the gavel went down on my divorce, I sold everything, left the warm embryo of suburbia, and moved to San Francisco. As the healing process began, I tried to recapture the life I had lost – but none of my former skills helped me. I tried to be very urban, very hip – and I had no idea how to do that. I was more alone than I ever had been. And I was scared to death.
Kat Forsythe, MSW
Author, Speaker, and Inspirer
I’m a specialist in divorce recovery, recreating life after catastrophic change, webinar and seminar leader, speaker, author, therapist, and personal coach.
For more than 25 years, I’ve been a change catalyst for people of all flavors and experience, showing them how to bounce back when life punches us down, and then leap forward into the life they want – based on their own strengths. I guide my clients through a 6 step, practical, no-nonsense plan to get them to “Forward“! My expertise has evolved from a myriad of experience: I’ve been a personal coach to hundreds of women and men going through divorce; I’ve been an educator around intimate issues of relationships to men and women after midlife; I’ve even lived the corporate life as an independent sales consultant to some of the biggest names on Wall Street. My proudest achievement is navigating the turbulent waters of parenthood to see my two beautiful daughters become the loving adult women that they are today.
I know the agonizing pain of divorce. After my own brutal divorce after 33 years of marriage, I struggled ferociously to regain my sense of who I was. When I finally got my sea legs back, I decided to refocus my professional life and devote my background and my strengths to helping others through the journey of divorce – or any other cataclysmic midlife event – and help her/him develop a practical plan after the gavel comes down – or the career ends – or the passing of a loved one happens.
Here’s my story, briefly. My memoir, A Move Unbecoming A Princess (working title) is due out at the end of 2016. For a story of lust, passion, elation, desperation, guilt, jealously, fear – and eventually joy … stay tuned. It’s a great read! In the meantime, here’s what happened to me – and why I know what it’s like to feel lost, angry, excited, and scared to death – all at once.
My Personal Journey
- Over 25 years of credentialed coaching, therapy, and communication/relationship consulting – including divorce recovery
- Huffington Post Blogger (divorce, over 50)
- Divorcemag.com – senior blogger
- Author: Sexperienced: Guide for the Seasoned Woman Seeking New Possibilities (2011)
- Author: Exhale MidLife Body Blues: 6 steps to Loving Your Body at Midlife and Beyond (2013)
- AB University of Michigan with concentration in communications (interpersonal communications)
- MSW (Master of Social Work) with a concentration on adult behavior and relationships after age 50, University of Cincinnati
- Post-graduate studies in adult sexuality and relationship behavior (including divorce), San Francisco State University Center for the Study of Human Sexuality
- Cincinnati Bar Association – special consultant for young attorneys dealing with client personal issues, especially divorce
- University Of Cincinnati College Of Medicine – facilitator for MD interns – teaching medical students communication skills for discussing personal and intimate issues with patients (including the impact of divorce).
- Mayfield Neurological Institute – coached neurosurgeons on patient communication, especially on personal and relationship issues post-surgery (including divorce)
- Member, National Speaker’s Association
- Member, Association for Psychological Type
- National Corporate Sales and Communication Skills Training. Independent Consultant. 1983 – 2008
- Certified Myers-Briggs personality type consultant and trainer
- Member, American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists
Hear what some of Kat’s clients have to say
“If you’re rediscovering who you are – or trying to rebuild your life after divorce, Kat’s your woman! Kat is inspiring, talks from the heart, really “gets” me, and pushes me with logical steps. No silly “out there” stuff from Kat. I love it that she also had one helluva divorce recovery! I looked a long time for her.”
“Kat, you empowered me to be who I finally am today. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”
“Kat is flat out the best! She gave me personal insights that I couldn’t have seen. Thank you!”